They have taken influence from a book which is all about secrets. They have distributed pieces of paper asking students around college to fill them in with one of their deepest secrets. Using their responses as the themes they are then going to create a clothes range.
I really like this concept and think it is going to be really successful. The only problem at the moment is the fact that it might not be achievable in the time period over the Easter break because they are wanting it all sorted for the first week back and all have internships mainly in London.
I have decided that I am still going to work on some initial ideas and then speak to Sophie in a couple of days to see where I stand with the work. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this brief for them to turn around and decide that they don't need my work after all.
I have had a think about some initial ideas below:
As a group, they asked me to think of some words relating to secrets. I wrote down all of my initial thoughts and ideas but came to the conclusion that the more straight forward, the better. I didn't want to come up with a word which sounds over the top or too cryptic.
I did however have a play around with some of the ideas I thought of. They said that they wanted quite a decorative font as they wanted it to have a playful feel to it and quite crafty and imperfect. I experimented with a variety of different typefaces but I think I need more feedback before I progress further with these designs.
I had the idea of using an envelope for their branding. I mentioned to them in the initial meetings that they should perhaps create garments with pieces of material which can be folded back to reveal a 'secret' about the clothing. They really liked this idea.
Below I have had a go at playing around with the opening of an envelop to reveal the text inside. I like the idea of using 'Hide and Seek' for their brand, however I think it might be a bit too long winded. At the moment I have designed everything in black and white and then I can include colour at a later date if necessary. They mentioned that they like the aesthetic of using brown swing tags on their garments, so I thought it might be quite effective to simply use black as it would stand out and be clear. It would also be cheaper for them to print and reproduce.
Although the previous ideas have all been produced digitally, I have had a go at working with some hand rendered illustrations. I thought it might create quite a personal feel to the work. However, I couldn't quite reach an illustration which I was happy with.
Over the Easter break, I spoke to Sophie about how her group work is progressing. She had spoken to her tutor who had said that she liked the idea of using the slogan 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours'. She also said that because of her group being dispersed at the moment at different locations for their internships, it has meant that they haven't been able to work on their garments as much as they would have liked to, and so I am now going to have to wait and meet up with them when they have more of a solid plan.
This hasn't had a huge impact on my work, as I have been able to focus more attention on the other briefs I am working on. I am looking forward to working on this brief when everything is a bit more organised and it has taught me to not put 100% of my attention on one brief at a time, and try and juggle between a few. I haven't been able to include this brief in my project report, as it isn't complete, however I am pleased that I have been able to document the progress so far and include it as development for my responsive module.