Tuesday 4 December 2012

OUGD404 - Design Principles: Accent task

We have to produce 10 A4 landscape print outs with a range of scale, font, weight and possibly resolution to represent 11 different accents...
  • Scottish
I chose to use this font to represent a Scottish accent because I could imagine it to resemble signs from Scotland as well as it representing the way Scottish people talk. 

  • South African
I watched videos of South African people speaking and then went on DaFont to find a font suitable. I think it is apparent by looking at the font that it represents a South African accent and I have purposely made the word 'are' larger to create emphasis on the word.

  • Italian
I looked at several fonts before deciding this one was the most appropriate. I chose this one in the end because it looks like an attractive, fun font. Again, I put emphasis on the word 'are' because within Italian dialect they do this.

  • Texan
This font was taken from DaFont and the reason it doesn't have a question mark is because it was a square which I didn't think was appropriate. This reminds me of a Texan sign for a restaurant. The accent is easily distinguishable, similar to this font I chose.

  • Mexican
This is a typical Mexican font. It is obvious to most people what it is trying to portray and I decided to keep it all the same size because I feel that the type itself is busy enough to portray the accent and I didn't want to overcomplicate it.

  • Somerset
I used a simple font for this as it is to represent someone from England and people in Somerset emphasise their 'r' which is why I have made it bolder and larger.

  • Birmingham
People from Birmingham talk with a drawn out accent and this is why I decided to italicise the writing. I have made the last letters of the first two words bold to put emphasis on the word being elongated. The word 'you' is bigger and bolder to reinforce the point I am trying to make.

  • Cockney
I found cockney quite hard to do. I used Hobo as it is quite bubbly and expressive. The cockney accent is very distinctive similar to the font and when I spoke out loud in this accent I found that the 'O' was more prominent which is why I have made them bigger.

  • German
This is a typical Blackletter German font which I feel is most appropriate to represent their bold, stern, distinctive accent.

  • Chinese
This font instantly reminded me of China. Chinese people speak with a fast pace and this font makes me think of speed and precision. 

  • Swedish
When I think of Swedish fonts I think of a simple, minimal font. Their voices are easily recognisable but aren't overly different and over the top in comparison to German for example. This is why I have chosen a minimalistic font to represent their accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment